Baked meatball subs have been my go-to sandwich these past few weeks. It’s so simple to prepare, yet you can cook it in many different ways. I especially love baking the meatballs because it’s so much healthier. I just love how this healthy snack can also be so guiltlessly delicious.
Baked Meatball SubsPrint Recipe
- Sauce Ingredients
- 1½ teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- ½ teaspoon of dried basil
- ½ teaspoon of dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon of dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon of salt or to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon of black pepper or to taste
- 1 ½ cup of no added salt crushed tomatoes
- Dash of brown sugar if necessary
- Meatball Ingredients
- 1 large egg
- ⅛ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of chilli powder
- 1/16 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- ¾ teaspoon of salt or to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon of pepper or to taste
- ¼ cup of chopped fresh parsley
- ½ cup of rolled oats, coarsely blended
- 1¼ pounds of lean ground beef
- Sub Ingredients
- 6 6-inch Italian bread rolls
- Cheese, optional
- Heat some oil in a pan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent, for about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, basil, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper and cook until fragrant, for about 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes and bring the mixture to a boil. Adjust heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- While sauce is reducing, preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit or 200 degrees Celsius.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper, then set it aside.
- Beat egg in a large bowl with garlic powder, onion powder, chilli powder and cayenne if using salt and pepper. Add parsley, oats and ground beef or vegetarian substitute and knead to combine. Form mixture into 18-20 balls and place on the baking tray.
- Bake balls for 20 minutes or until they reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit or 70 degrees Celsius.
- When the meatballs are cooked, remove balls from the oven and reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit or 180 degrees Celsius.
- Cut meatballs in half and toss in the sauce. Warm rolls in the oven for 3 minutes, then cut in half lengthwise.
- Place meatballs on bottom halves of rolls, and if using cheese, top meatballs with cheese and heat rolls a further 4 to 5 minutes until cheese melts. Close the sandwich.
- Serve as desired.