I opt for large cans in the recipe, and I only use half of a can, dump the other half in a Ziplock freezer bag and freeze it, so it’s ready for the next time I make this!
Chicken Burrito BowlPrint Recipe
- 1 ¾ cup of chicken broth
- 2 pounds of ground chicken
- 1 large can of corn niblets
- 1 large can of black beans
- 1 large can of diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of onion powder
- 1 tablespoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of taco seasoning (for rice)
- 1 avocado
- ½ cup of shredded cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Sour cream
- 1 lime
- 1 cup of uncooked rice
- Add 1 ¾ cup of chicken broth, open cans of corn, black beans, and diced tomatoes in an instant pot or a slow cooker. Drain all cans, and make sure to rinse black beans to get all the can sludge off. Use half of each can, put another half in a Ziplock bag and freeze for next time. Add to pot.
- Add garlic powder, onion powder, cumin (or taco seasoning, whatever you have on hand) and a dash of salt and pepper.
- Cut up chicken breasts into large chunks, and add to pot.
- Mix everything in the pot together so the chicken is covered by liquid.
- For instant pot, put the lid and cook on high pressure for 25 minutes, then quick release.
- For slow cooker (crockpot), cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Approximately 15 minutes before the meal is ready, start cooking rice. Add 1 cup of rice to 2 cups of water, cook on the stovetop or in the rice cooker. Add 1 teaspoon of taco seasoning while cooking.
- Cut up avocado and lime into slices.
- Now the chicken is done, take 2 forks and shred the chicken.
- Use an oversized soup bowl and add rice to the bottom, then use a slotted spoon to scoop up the chicken mixture (you don’t want the liquid in your bowl) and add on top of half the rice.
- Spread cheese on top of the chicken, add a heaping tablespoon of salsa and sour cream, add avocado slices and garnish with a lime wedge.
- You can use a tortilla shaped into a cup to serve your burrito bowl.