This beef puff pastry crumble is an excellent dish to serve when you want something unique for your guests. It’s not like any meat-filled puff pastry you have tasted before. Here’s a simple recipe you can make.
Beef Puff Pastry CrumblePrint Recipe
- Dough Ingredients
- 1 cup of plain flour
- ½ cup of polenta (coarse or instant)
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ cup of rice bran oil
- 1/3 to ½ cup cold water or dry white wine
- Beef & Spinach Filling Ingredients
- 150 grams of beef mince
- ¼ a small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
- ½ teaspoon of allspice
- ½ teaspoon of grated fresh nutmeg
- ½ tomato, chopped
- 1½ tablespoon of tomato paste
- ¼ cup of dry sherry
- ½ long red chilli, chopped
- 300-gram packet frozen spinach portions, microwaved (3 minutes on high) and chopped
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat a frying pan and cook the mince for about 10 minutes, until crumbly and lightly browned.
- Then, add onion, garlic and spices, and cook a little longer until the onion softens. Add tomato, tomato paste, sherry and chilli and cook over high heat until the juices evaporate and the mince is cooked through.
- Stir in spinach and add the seasoning.
- Blend the flour, polenta, sugar, baking powder and salt in a food processor. Add oil and a little of the water/wine gradually until the mixture becomes crumbly.
- Take off from the food processor and knead with extra water/wine if needed until the dough comes together. Wrap the rolled dough in cling film and refrigerate for at least an hour before using.
- After an hour, take it from the fridge. Dust the bench with a bit of polenta. Turn the dough onto the said bench.
- Roll it out to 3-millimetre thick, and cut out 8 to 10 circles, brush egg glaze around the edge of each pastry, place a bit of filling in the centre, and fold the circle in half, crimping the edges with a fork, brush the circle with egg glaze, and bake for about an hour.
- Press it into a greased brownie pan. Bake that at about 175 degrees for about 20 minutes.